Re: [h-e-w] Problems with ange ftp

From: Michael W Daniels
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Problems with ange ftp
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:28:44 -0500

At 10:21 PM 1/29/2002 +0000, you wrote:
I foolishly deleted the posts about problems with ange-ftp here, and
then, of course, found that I'm having problems with ange-ftp.  When I
try to find-file on a remote file, all I get is a listing of that file
in the remote directory.  If I move to the file in the listing and
type 'f', Emacs tells me the file no longer exists, and that I should
type 'g' to update the listing.  Of course, the file is still there,
but I can't open it.

I've had this problem under both 20 and 21, with Win98 and WinXP.

One can get around it by opening the directory in dired, i.e. when you want to find

/address@hidden:/path/file.ext

try

/address@hidden:/path

instead and then open the file from the resulting dired buffer. I've found that this always works whenever giving the full file name to C-x C-f fails.

--
Michael W. Daniels          | "The thunder was ominous-sounding, much
address@hidden |  like the sound of a thin sheet of metal