RE: [h-e-w] Niggling file problems

From: andrew . maguire
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Niggling file problems
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 17:49:33 -0500

> > 2) When picking up a file e.g. E:/a/b/c/filename the file
> > //machina/a/b/c/filename is picked up instead of
> > //machina/users/me/a/b/c/filename.
>
> That is also normal for Windows networking.  I don't know why you
> think that your drive "E:" actually points to "\\machina\users\me" but
> with Samba and the Windows networking protocol that's actually not
> possible AFAIK.
Maybe he is using the old DOS command "subst".

Associates a path with a drive letter.

SUBST [drive1: [drive2:]path]
SUBST drive1: /D

  drive1:        Specifies a virtual drive to which you want to assign a
path.
  [drive2:]path  Specifies a physical drive and path you want to assign to
                 a virtual drive.
  /D             Deletes a substituted (virtual) drive.

Type SUBST with no parameters to display a list of current virtual drives.

Andrew