[h-e-w] Getting ^M to display as newline?

From: Peter Davis
Subject: [h-e-w] Getting ^M to display as newline?
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:13:45 -0500

I frequently have occasion to examine or edit PDF files, which contain a combination of ASCII and binary data. Typically, the ASCII portions use \r (^M) as the line separator character, so in emacs I just see a bunch of lines strung together

%PDF^M1 0 obj^M<< ^M/Type /Catalog ^M/Pages 2 0 R^M>> ^Mendobj^M ...

This is painful to read, but I can't change all the ^M's to ^J's, as that would break the binary sections.

Is there a PDF mode, or some way to get emacs to display the ^M's a newlines just for PDF files?

Thanks,

-pd

--------
                             Peter Davis
               Funny stuff at http://www.pfdstudio.com
               "The artwork formerly shown as prints."
           Resources for children's writers & illustrators:
                  http://www.pfdstudio.com/cwrl.html