[h-e-w] How to use the menubar with keyboard?

From: Tuomas Salo
Subject: [h-e-w] How to use the menubar with keyboard?
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 19:00:18 +0200 (EET)

Hello,

I'm trying to make the Emacs menu bar usable with the keyboard, as in any
other Windows program. I've already added '(setq w32-pass-alt-to-system
t)' to my .emacs file so that I can press alt key once (down+up), which
activates the "File" menu. However, there are no underlines in any menu
entry.

So, my question is: is there a way to make the menubar act like in a
standard Windows program, with underlined shortcut characters?

I'm surprised I couldn't find anything on this in the FAQ. I also tried to
STFW, but found very little. Maybe I'm missing something here...?

(I'm using W2k with Emacs 21.1 installed from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/21.1/emacs-21.1-fullbin-i386.tar.gz.)

Thanks for any help,

Tuomas

PS. I'm aware that now (with the File menu item activated) I can push 'E'
to open the Edit menu and so on, but when there are many menu items like
'Open File...'and 'Open Directory...' in the same menu, pressing 'O'
sucks. Also, I'm not able to push Alt-F to directly open to the file menu.