Re: [h-e-w] Shortcuts?

From: Robinows
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Shortcuts?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 21:43:04 EST

address@hidden writes:
Since Emacs on windows doesn't seem to follow shortcuts, is there some
simple way to define some shortcuts when finding files? Many of my
documents rest fairly deep in my folder structure, so navigating from one
to the other can be painfully slow... particularly when C-x C-f starts out
in the home folder... even being able to change that so it would begin in a
specific folder would be a partial workaround...

  You can change the "Start in:" field of your desktop shortcut if you like.  You can even make multiple instances each with a different value (and name!) if you like. Not the way I'd do it.
  C-h v default-directory   should steer you toward the "cd" function which might
help.
  emacs also recognizes environment variables.   Use $NAME  to access the file defined by the NAME environment variable.
  You can use  "M-x setenv"  to set variables within emacs or
       (setenv "FILES"  "d:/direct/subdir/")    in your .emacs

note: be careful when dealing with spaces and backslashes