Re: [h-e-w] font-lock in fundamental-mode

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] font-lock in fundamental-mode
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 16:43:14 +0000

Jeff Rancier wrote:

> I have the following in my .emacs in my custom-set-variables section:
>
>  '(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock))
>
> For all modes.  I Still to turn it on manually for fundmental-mode.

I think fundamental-mode is regarded as a mode to use for building other
modes, and as a default, but not as a mode to actually use directly.  So
I don't think you are expected to want to use font-lock with it.  The
ELisp manual doesn't say that explicitly, but that's my interpretation
of what it does say, which is this:

The least specialized major mode is called "Fundamental mode".  This
mode has no mode-specific definitions or variable settings, so each
Emacs command behaves in its default manner, and each option is in its
default state.

Francis