Re: [h-e-w] extra newline in minibuffer causes grief

From: David J. Biesack
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] extra newline in minibuffer causes grief
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 17:04:25 -0500 (EST)

> From: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
>
> > On this XP machine, I'm noticing strange behavior. Whenever a message
> > gets echoed to the minibuffer (i.e. (message "test")), the minibuffer
> > grows by an extra line.
>
> What is your default font?  ("C-u C-x =" will tell you).  Some buggy
> fonts appear to define the baseline at the bottom of the character
> cell, so if there are any descenders (qypj) on the line, the
> minibuffer needs to resize to avoid chopping them off at the bottom.

That was it. The old font I had on my other systems (a 6x13 font from X11)
does not exist on my new computer, so Emacs picked the next best match,
"-outline-Lucida Sans
Unicode-normal-r-normal-normal-13-97-96-96-p-*-iso8859-15"
which seems to be the cuplrit.  I changed my default font and things
are much happier.

thanks

--
David J. Biesack     SAS Institute Inc.
R&D Java Strategist  SAS Campus Drive Cary, NC 27513