Re: [h-e-w] Annoying message in mini-buffer

From: Richard M. Heiberger
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Annoying message in mini-buffer
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 21:12:12 -0500 (EST)

I looked at your buffer-local approach.  It comes very close to what I
am looking for.  Can you add that information to the doc string and to
the *info* for show-help-function?

There is a very important difference between the buffer-local approach
and the add-a-new-variable approach.

In the buffer-local approach, the response to the mouse depends on
where the cursor is, not on where the mouse is.  Say I have run the
three lines
  (make-variable-buffer-local 'show-help-function)
  (add-hook 'dired-mode-hook (lambda () (setq show-help-function 'null)))
  (add-hook 'buffer-menu-mode-hook (lambda () (setq show-help-function 'null)))
Open a dired and open a *Help*.  Place the cursor in the dired and the
mouse in the *Help*.  The help-echo in the *Help* is off.
Place the cursor in the *Help* and the mouse in the dired.  The
help-echo in the dired is on.

In the local-variable approach, the response to the mouse depends on
where the mouse is.  Start a new
  emacs -q --no-site-lisp
and load my functions.  Open a dired and open a *Help*.  Place the
cursor in the dired and the mouse in the *Help*.  The help-echo in the
*Help* is on.  Place the cursor in the *Help* and the mouse in the
dired.  The help-echo in the dired is off.

Is there a way to use local variables and have the behavior of the
mouse depend on the location of the mouse?

I will have to sit with it a few days before I decide whether the
current buffer-local approach will be comfortable for me.

Thank you for engaging in this conversation.

Rich