Re: [h-e-w] Annoying message in mini-buffer

From: Richard M. Heiberger
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Annoying message in mini-buffer
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 02:29:30 -0500 (EST)

Ah, new news.

Indeed, the dired-help-echo, the buff-menu-help-echo, and the
help-echo in the *Help* buffer are all instances of the same thing.
I have been thinking of them as three things and that explains some
of the cross-communication about the help-echo.

With this understanding, I still want to treat them as three distinct
things.  I normally want the echo on in the *Help* buffer, and never
want it on in the dired or *Buffer List*.  For other situations where
the echo is used, I probably would want it on by default.

My proposal allows the distinction.  I create two new variables,
dired-help-echo and buffer-menu-help-echo, and make simple
modifications to each of the two functions dired-insert-set-properties
and list-buffers-noselect to use those variables.  I still strongly
would like these two variables and the two modified functions that use
them included as part of the emacs distribution.

I also created toggle functions---with the same name as the variables
they toggle---for dired-help-echo, buffer-menu-help-echo, and
show-help-function.  The toggle functions are cute, but not necessary.

Rich