Re: [h-e-w] Emacs 21.1/Win2K/grep&find

From: Theodore A. Jump
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs 21.1/Win2K/grep&find
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 14:53:49 -0600

> What are the tricks for enabling grep and find with Emacs 21.1 and
> Win2k? Do I have to use Cygwin as my shell for these to work?

You do not have to use Cygwin.

I've put a zip file ( w32-grep.zip ) that contains a win32-native build grep (don't recall where I got it), stuff this into some dir that is in your global PATH ( like C:\WINNT\System32 for example ) and then Emacs M-x grep should pretty much work.

I've got some additional tweaks to my environment in my personal .emacs that lets me hot-switch via right-clicking on the grep output text, that doesn't seem to work w/o my additional stuff, but I do not recall WHAT it is that does this.

( I think the mouse stuff is happening because of twiddling I do to the 2- or 3- button mouse config, 'cause in my config the right-mouse click on the grep output invokes compile-mouse-goto-error which is pretty much what we want, and running "emacs -q" I don't get this function. Have to look at my mappings. )

Oh, for reference, if you're inclined to look, I keep a zip file with my .emacs stuff here:

        http://www.tertius.com/projects/library/emacs/dot-emacs.zip

the grep prog zip file is here:

        http://www.tertius.com/projects/library/emacs/w32-grep.zip

Cheers,