[h-e-w] gnuserv, DUN (?) and Windows XP

From: David Hanlon
Subject: [h-e-w] gnuserv, DUN (?) and Windows XP
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 23:37:39 +0000

I've recently had to start working on a Windows XP (Pro) machine, and
I'm experiencing problems with the running of gnuserv (for reference
I'm running Gnu Emacs 21.1.1 and gnuserv 2.0.2.2). Quite frequently
the connection between gnuclientw and gnuserv seems to break, so file
associations and gnudoit-like calls of gnuclientw no longer work: the
mouse pointer momentarily displays an hour glass, but the running
emacs doesn't respond. I can re-establish the connection by
interactively calling gnuserv-start from the emacs mini-buffer, but
the problem soon recurs. When gnuserv does appear to 'go to sleep'
like this, it is still listed in the task manager, by the way. I've
tried a couple of things to overcome this: (1) setting the
compatibility setting of gnuserv.exe to the previous versions of
Windows I've used it successfully on (95, 98 and NT); and (2) giving
gnuserv.exe a higher priority in the XP task manager. Neither has
solved the problem. For a few days I've been trying to isolate the
circumstances under which it occurs, and I am fairly sure it's
whenever I dial-up to or disconnect from my ISP. If this is a
DUN/gnuserv conflict, however, I'm clueless as to how to go about
fixing it. Has anybody else on the list experienced the same or a
similar problem and could shed some light on it?

Thanks in advance,

David