Re: [h-e-w] Win 2000 + "Spanish" keyboards

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Win 2000 + "Spanish" keyboards
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 16:30:08 +0200

> Are you using Win 2000?

XP, but I used Emacs 21 in 2K, NT, W95 and W98 with no trouble.

As a curiosity, I'm using right now an English release of Windows XP,
with a Spanish keyboard, and Emacs works as expected. But I've used it
too in Spanish releases of XP/NT/etc.

>What Mule settings?  Anything special in .emacs?

With any relevance to keyboard / language environment, etc. only that:

(set-language-environment "Latin-1")
(standard-display-8bit 128 128)

(keyboard-translate ?\221 ?\~)
(global-set-key [128] 'self-insert-command)
(global-set-key [131] 'self-insert-command)
(global-set-key [133] 'self-insert-command)
(global-set-key [138] 'self-insert-command)
(global-set-key [139] 'self-insert-command)
(global-set-key [140] 'self-insert-command)
(global-set-key [150] 'self-insert-command)
(global-set-key [154] 'self-insert-command)
(global-set-key [156] 'self-insert-command)

> I am at home at the moment, so can't give a detailed reply (hopefully I will
> get email access at work today), but basically only the alphanumeric keys
> work OK.  I don't know the specifics of the keyboard but ñ is to the right on
> a key of its own, < and > are to the bottom left, : and ; are on separate
> keys to the bottom right (shifted above . and ,).  All that is different to a
> "normal" keyboard I would use for a british/american computer.

I think you're using a Spanish (from Spain, I mean, not some variation)
keyboard or equivalent. I bet your first line is somewhat like (normal shifted
[alt-gr]):

ºª\ 1!| 2"@ 3·# 4$ 5% 6&¬ 7/ 8( 9) 0= '? ¡¿

> When I type any of the non-alphanumeric keys, I get different letters
> displayed in emacs.  When I try to type "*" (second row right, iirc), I see
> "P", for example.  Another example: to get "(" or ")" I need to shift 4 and
> 5, although the keyboard has them on 8 and 9 (or 9 and 0, I can't remember
> exactly).

That's very strange. You've said that outside Emacs programs do behave
correctly, haven't you? What internationalization / keyboard / language
is your Windows configured to? Because if that happened everywhere I'd
bet you had the wrong keyboard assigned.

> All those details are from memory, but that's the general idea.  I can be
> more exact once I am at work if it is important, but the problem is very
> clear and obvious - I don't know why you don't have problems if I do!

I've never had any problem with a Spanish configuration and a Spanish
keyboard, but on my wife's W95, in Portuguese with a Brazilian
Portuguese keyboard, you get different keys when in a DOS shell, on
Emacs or on a Windows app. I had to resort to a remapping utility. :(

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u