[h-e-w] Emacs audio problems

From: Bob Perchonok
Subject: [h-e-w] Emacs audio problems
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:36:28 -0500

Emacs users,
I am using GNU Emacs 21.1.1 on a Dell C610 laptop running Windows 2000. When I initially received the laptop, the hard disk came from a previous laptop without a C610 compatible audio driver. In this state, the audio output from most programs did not behave properly, e.g. Eudora generated a simple beep when detecting new email rather than playing its default tune. However, Emacs did beep on errors and in response to Ctrl-G. After installing the latest C610 compatible audio driver from the Dell web site, the audio of all programs, e.g. Eudora, is now working properly. However, Emacs now fails to generate any sound on an error or in response to Ctrl-G. This lack of audio response for Emacs is not new to me. My previous laptop behaved in the same manner. I.e. the audio for most programs worked fine but Emacs generated no sounds. Is there some internal Emacs setting that I need to set in order to get audio response from Emacs? Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Bob Perchonok