Re: [h-e-w] Help: NT Emacs and the SendTo menu behaviour...

From: rob . davenport
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Help: NT Emacs and the SendTo menu behaviour...
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 11:08:53 -0400

Hi John,

Sorry I don't have a win98 machine available to test this on.

You suggestion of copying shdocvw.dll and shdoc401.dll to your Win98
machine scares me.   Believe me when I say that could lead to no end of
trouble.  I spent a long weekend getting a friend's machine back to working
after something corrupted the shdocvw.dll on his machine - no Explorer,
no task bar, etc. and a lot of debugging to even figure that out.

Just copying them probably would fail and/or corrupt the system. You'd
have to register them at a minimum, as they contain the COM object servers
that provide many of the basics of the Explorer shell in Windows, and even
then that probably wouldn't work due to other missing file depencies.  (More
than just those files would need to be updated.)

You might try comparing revision levels of Internet Explorer on your machine.
(My guess is they both have 5.5 - but maybe the sevice pack levels are
different.)
If they are different, upgrading the IE on your Win98 machine might update
those files for you.  That would be the safest way of getting those files in
sync.
(Remember that Windows and Internet Explorer are still tightly coupled.)

Rob

"John McCabe" <address@hidden> on 04/24/2002 06:02:28 AM