Re: [h-e-w] OFF TOPIC! - Help: NT Emacs and the SendTo menu behaviour...

From: John McCabe
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] OFF TOPIC! - Help: NT Emacs and the SendTo menu behaviour...
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 17:36:48 +0100

Jeremy

The tone of your response isn't appreciated. Many others have been very
helpful on the list, and it doesn't exaclty take a lot of effort just to
ignore messages that come in from it - I certainly do so on a lot of
occasions.

On this occasion I believed I had a problem with Emacs although now it
doesn't look like that is the case. The fact that my configuration of Win98
and other people's configurations of Win98 (including one I have at work)
behave differently obviously show that installing gnuserv/gnuclient is
*NOT* the solution to the problem - there is obviously something more
fundamental in my Windows setup, so your comments about installing
gnuserv/gnuclient are, clearly, irrelevant nonsense, especially as I have
now (last night) discovered at least one other, non-GPL, program which
behaves in this way - is gnuserv/gnuclient going to sort out the problem
with *that* program? Clearly not!

As far as the question about Microsoft support prices, you have clearly
missed the point. The fact that the program in question is Emacs (as you
mention, a GPL program) is irrelevant, as I now (as I mentioned) know I
have at least one other non-GLP program that gives the same behaviour, so
the question I would ask of Microsoft is "what is used to determine how
many instances of a program are executed when multiple files are passed to
a 'SendTo' item"!

Of course I realise the thread *has* gone off-topic, but I felt it was as
much a closing courtesy as anything to point out to those who have been
HELPFUL what I think I might do next.

So, basically, if you're not going to post something helpful in relation to
a discussion (which I haven't seen you doing recently), just don't post
anything at all!

Best Regards
John McCabe