RE: [h-e-w] OFF TOPIC! - Help: NT Emacs and the SendTo menu behaviour...

From: Jeremy Bowen
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] OFF TOPIC! - Help: NT Emacs and the SendTo menu behaviour...
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 05:43:11 -0400

John

> and it doesn't exaclty take a lot of effort just to
> ignore messages that come in from it

Just like ignoring SPAM really. We should put up with it because it
doesn't take much effort to ignore it.....Hmmmmm.

> ... obviously show that installing
> gnuserv/gnuclient is *NOT* the solution to the problem

However your reluctance to use the correct tool for the job anyway, in the
face of overwhelming supporting evidence, displays an unusual character
trait that no doubt causes you all sorts of other problems in your
everyday life :-)

> so your comments about installing
> gnuserv/gnuclient are, clearly, irrelevant nonsense,

gnuserv IS the right tool for sending files to a running instance of
Emacs. The suggestion IS relevant and entirely correct. If you want to
launch Emacs and/or send files to it, then gnuserv is the correct program
to do this.

The fact the something else *seems* to work on *some* occasions (when
there is an "R" in the month and the wind is blowing from the right
direction :-) in no way negates the validity of the original solution;
ie. gnuserv.

> especially as I have now (last night) discovered at least
> one other, non-GPL, program which  behaves in this way

It's obviously not the programs, it's the OS.

> - is gnuserv/gnuclient going to sort out
> the problem with *that* program? Clearly not!

I'm sure that with a quick look through the Windows98 source code we could
have the problem solved in a day or so :-)

> so the question I would ask of Microsoft is "what is used to determine
> how many instances of a program are executed when multiple files are
> passed to a 'SendTo' item"!

Micro$oft would laugh at you hysterically if you approached them for
support. You'll have more luck with "Ask Geeves" or "Google" than getting
anything at all out of Microshaft.

> but I felt it was as much a closing courtesy as anything to point out to
> those who have been HELPFUL what I think I might do next.

It looks to me like your attitude was "I don't care what you've told
me. I want to do it my way". [You just can't help people like that.]

> So, basically, if you're not going to post something helpful
> in relation to  a discussion (which I haven't seen you doing
> recently), just don't post anything at all!
  ^^^^^^^^
Is there some timeout period that I've missed so that now, having not
posted for a few weeks, I've lost my posting privileges ?  :-)

Perhaps yet another message suggesting you install gnuserv would count as
"something helpful in relation to a discussion" and you'll allow me to
post again!

Chill

Jeremy