RE: [h-e-w] Spam?

From: Bingham, Jay
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Spam?
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 10:00:54 -0500

I moderate a couple of small private lists at Yahoo Groups.  The Yahoo list
server has some features that would make managing spammers much easier.  One is
the concept of banning someone from the list.  I haven't been keeping track but
it seems to me that I have seen spam coming from the same addresses more than
once.  I do not know if the gnu list server has the capability to ban an
address from posting and given the tendency of spammers to use false and
throwaway addresses it may not be a useful strategy, but if the capability
exists it might be worth a try.
Since I joined this list a couple of years ago, I have seen occasional posts
from those who said they were not a member of the list.  Other than the few who
have requested that replies be sent directly to them I suppose that the only
way they would see the replies to their queries would be to check the archives
periodically.  I do not know nor do I pretend to understand the reasons for not
joining the list.  Some might be valid reasons, I can think of only a few.  If
it is so that they won't get spam I don't think that is an effective strategy,
right now I get more spam sent directly to my address (I attribute most of it
to my having posted to this list and the other emacs list) than I am getting
through the list.  (In fact by posting this I am probably setting myself up as
a spam magnet).

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Enterprise Division - Software Product Assurance
.    Austin, TX
. Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
. Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire.          -Dr. George W. Crane-