Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv and loopback IP address

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv and loopback IP address
Date: 19 Jun 2002 22:59:35 -0500

I recently switched to the newer gnuserv/gnuclient
suite which uses TCP/IP for interprocess
communication.  I have just discovered a somewhat
surprising and potentially relevant interaction.  I
run ZoneAlarm.  I used it to "Stop All Internet
Activity"; and, lo, gnuserv broke!  Not so
surprising ... after I thought about it.  :(

I am sure that other firewalls can shut down your
TCP/IP stack as well.

Does anyone know if the newer gnuserv has any
significant advantage if you know that these processes
are all going to be running on the same machine
anyway?  I may just go back to the older set.  The new
ones seem to be about equally flakey as the old with
respect to the issue of whether or not the new frame
will really pop to the top and get the focus.  (My
annoyance with that seemingly random behaviour is what
motivated me to 'upgrade'.)

Regards,
  David V.