Re: [h-e-w] Problem with end of file marker for NTEmacs v21.x on Win2k?

From: John Lee
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Problem with end of file marker for NTEmacs v21.x on Win2k?
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 00:16:59 -0400

> this. The behavior I'm seeing (and I'm just hypothesizing here) is > that the end of file marker isn't being marked right when the file > shrinks in size, and so what gets written to disk is actually

Is this on a networked drive? There have been reports in the past about this behaviour, all previous reports involved networked drives on Unix machines. I have not seen any suggestion that previous versions of Emacs worked before though.

Thanks for the reply, and yup, you called it! It is a networked drive mapping to an SMB share on a Dell Powervault (which I believe is a BSD box running samba or something). I'm glad in a sense to hear that I'm not the only one having this problem. *heh* As to previous versions, I did find that the problem went away when I downgraded to 20.7, and I don't recall having these problems with the 19.x series. Have people been experiencing this problem accessing smb shares under Linux / other UNIX, or has it been strictly a Windows problem?

- John