[h-e-w] Hard to reproduce bug.

From: Galen Boyer
Subject: [h-e-w] Hard to reproduce bug.
Date: 26 Jun 2002 22:09:19 -0700

I have the following in my .emacs.

    (setq special-display-buffer-names
          '(("*info*"
             (top . 5)
             (left . 100)
             (width . 90)
             (height . 40)
             (menu-bar-lines . 0))
            ("*Help*" "*Occur*" "*Apropos*" "*Backtrace*" "*Input History*"
             (top . 5)
             (left . 0)
             (width . 100)
             (height . 30)
             (menu-bar-lines . 0)
             (foreground-color . "black")
             (background-color . "light steel blue"))
            ("*Occur*"
             (top . 5)
             (left . 10)
             (width . 120)
             (height . 48))
            ("*Apropos*"
             (top . 5)
             (left . 20)
             (width . 120)
             (height . 40))
             ))

The thing I like about this is that all of these buffers are the type
that I really only want to read, not integrate into my window
configuration.  With the above, pop-up frames show up instead and my
configuration stays intack.

But, everyonce in a blue moon, I get the popup, "emacs.exe has done
something bad and it will now close".  I'm guessing it has to do with
the number/configuration of the open frames because the number of frames
that are around when this happens is usually above 4.  (I can't ever
really get a good picture cause all of the sudden, I get the windows
popup and, well, then I'm hosed)

Has anybody else seen Emacs abruptly getting killed by windows?

Is there some debug file I can go find when this happens?  It says it is
creating one, but, hell, I don't ever know what windows is doing.
(Maybe Emacs is creating this file?)

Thanks.