Re: [h-e-w] autofill question

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] autofill question
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:53:28 +0100

From: "Underwood, Jonathan" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 10:13 PM
Subject: [h-e-w] autofill question

> I'm wondering why the following code in my .emacs fails to turn off
> auto-fill-mode for makefile-mode and sh-mode. I'm sure i'm missing
something
> obvious...
>
> ;; auto-fill
> (setq-default fill-column 80)
> (setq-default auto-fill-function 'do-auto-fill)
> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
> (add-hook 'sh-mode-hook 'turn-off-auto-fill)
> (add-hook 'makefile-mode-hook 'turn-off-auto-fill)
>
> jonathan.

My solution to this problem was to select Word Wrap in Text Modes and then
Save Options, both in the Options menu.  I have just checked, and this setup
enables auto fill in text mode but not in either of sh or makefile modes.

The result (I assume) was to add this customization line within
custom-set-variables to my .emacs:

 '(text-mode-hook (quote (turn-on-auto-fill text-mode-hook-identify)))

You could probably do much the same thing without using customization, but I
haven't tried.

Francis