Re: [h-e-w] ntemacs & gnus

From: Peter Davis
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] ntemacs & gnus
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:58:40 -0400

At 08:30 AM 07/17/2002, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
whoa, just saw through Google, your attempts to solve this issue
before.  You seem to
have spent expended an enormous amount of effort to crack this. Well,
I'm downloading
epop3mail package now to take it for a spin.  Can you spare yor .gnus
customizations for
the part I just want.

Sure. I owe this to the efforts of several people on the gnu.emacs.gnus list and on this list. Below is what I'm using. Some of this may be historical relics that just got left in the .gnus file.

For what it's worth, I'm now using a fetchmail-like perl script that downloads my mail without deleting it from the server, and keeps track of the UIDLs to avoid downloading the same messages multiple times. I'm planning to expand this to automatically delete messages from the server if I expire them locally.

Cheers,

-pd

  ;  Use Franklin Lee's epop3 mail to leave messages on server
  (require 'ange-ftp)
  (defalias 'ange-ftp-read-passwd 'read-passwd)
  (setq load-path (cons "~/emacsdir/elib-1.0" load-path))
  (setq load-path (cons "~/emacsdir/ep3m-0995" load-path))
  (setq pop3-port 110)
  (setq temporary-file-directory "C:/temp")
  (setq user-login-name "pdavis")
  (autoload 'stuff-pop-passwords  "epop3mail"   "Pre-load passwords"  t)
  (autoload 'epop3-manage-mailbox "epop3manage" "Manage POP3 mailbox" t)
  (autoload 'flush-pop-passwords  "epop3mail"   "Flush passwords"     t)
  (setq epop3-mail-package                'gnus
        epop3-manage-debug                nil
        epop3-manage-really-delete        t)
  (setq epop3-mail-package 'gnus)
  (setq epop3-leave-mail-on-server t)
  (require 'epop3mail)
  (require 'epop3manage)
  (defalias 'manage-mbx 'epop3-manage-mailbox)
  (defun epop3-mail-fetch (tofile)
    "Front-end to epop3-mail to fetch mail from pop account and put it in
TOFILE.  The pop account itself is determined by the variables `user' and
`server' instantiated in mail-source.el prior to the invocation of the
mail-source function."
    (let ((po-string (format "po:address@hidden" user server)))
      (message "Calling epop3-mail with %s and %s" po-string tofile)
      (epop3-mail po-string tofile)
      t))
  (defun pd:epop3-mail-fetch-nodelete (&rest args)
    (let ((epop3-leave-mail-on-server t))
      (apply 'epop3-mail-fetch args)))

  (defun pd:epop3-mail-fetch-delete (&rest args)
    (let ((epop3-leave-mail-on-server nil))
      (apply 'epop3-mail-fetch args)))

  (setq nnmail-spool-file '("po:address@hidden"
                            "po:address@hidden"
                            )
        )
  (setq mail-sources '(
                       (pop :function pd:epop3-mail-fetch-nodelete
                            :server "mail.mycompany.com"
                            :user   "pdavis")
                       (pop :function pd:epop3-mail-fetch-delete
                            :server "pop.myisp.com"
                            :user   "pd")
                       )
        )

--------
                                Peter Davis
                 Funny stuff at http://www.pfdstudio.com
                 "The artwork formerly shown as prints."
           Resources for children's writers and illustrators
                   http://www.pfdstudio.com/cwrl.html