Re: [h-e-w] c++ editing , variable name completion

From: Paul Whitfield
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] c++ editing , variable name completion
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:18:50 +0800

Paul Kinnucan wrote:
David Vanderschel writes:
 > Besides dabbrev, there is another completion mechanism
 > which has not been mentioned here and which I believe
 > is more along the lines of what Paul and Eric are
 > working on.  Look up the "Symbol Completion" node in
 > emacs info.  This mechanism is based on tags (which
 > are derived syntactically depending on the programming
 > language).

Has anyone used symbol completion with the tags generated by ebrowse,
the C++ tagger? Does it work well? How does it compare to the
intelligent symbol completion prrovided by Visual C++? The Windows
version of Emacs does not appear to contain the Ebrowse tag
generator. Does anyone know if ebrowse works on Windows?

It is part of emacs-21-2 (I just checked)

Running ebrowse seems to work... but I get errors
about newlines in string constants when I run it over
some example code.

When I open the browse file I get an error:

File mode specification error: (error "Invalid escape character syntax")

Paul