[h-e-w] what changed with C-l ????

From: Scott, Steven
Subject: [h-e-w] what changed with C-l ????
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 14:20:03 -0700

I recently upgraded to gnu emacs 21.1.1 on my PC.  The upgrade appears
to have changed the default behavior of C-l (the recenter command).
Now, when I am writing a C program and hit C-l, emacs attempts to put
the first line of the program at the top of the screen if it will fit.
I prefer the old behavior, how do I get it back???

When I type C-h k (i.e. 'help with this key') for C-l I get the
following:

C-l runs the command hilit-recenter
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `hilit19'.
(hilit-recenter ARG)

Recenter, then rehighlight according to hilit-auto-rehighlight.  If called
with an unspecified prefix argument (^U but no number), then a rehighlight
of
the entire buffer is forced.