[h-e-w] w32-symlinks.el

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: [h-e-w] w32-symlinks.el
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 11:47:13 +0100

I have released an update, available from
http://centaur.maths.qmul.ac.uk/Emacs/.

The main improvements are to the support for creating shortcut files using
dired (e.g. by pressing the S key), which now uses Windows Script Host (WSH)
by default and should work "out of the box" on versions of Windows from
about 98 onwards.  (I've tested it only on XP and NT4 SP6a.)  If it doesn't
work then you *should* just need to install WSH from the Microsoft web site.
Please take a look at the w32-symlinks customization group after installing
but before using the package.  I would welcome both positive and negative
feedback.  (The next release should support all Emacs commands, not just
dired.)

Please note that I currently have no idea whether this code is even relevant
to the new Cygwin port of Emacs; it is intended only for use with the native
Windows version, NTEmacs.

Here is my RCS history entry for this version:

Added support for using WSH to create standard Windows shortcuts.
Made method of generating symlinks and locations of WSH script and ln
program all customizable.  Restructured code for `make-symbolic-link'.
Removed code to avoid redefinition of `make-symbolic-link'; define it
always when the file is loaded, now that it is separate from ls-lisp.

Added some hacks to parse UFT16-encoded 8-bit ASCII in shortcuts,
which seems to be used in shortcuts generated by WSH, at least under
Win XP.

Made prefix arg prevent dired commands following symlinks.

Revised documentation and comments, and updated reference to Cygwin
FAQ to included distributed version.

Francis

---

Dr Francis J. Wright
School of Mathematical Sciences, Queen Mary
University of London, Mile End Road, London E1 4NS, UK
Tel: 020 7882 5453 (direct);  Fax: 020 8981 9587 (dept.)
address@hidden;  http://centaur.maths.qmul.ac.uk/