[h-e-w] autofill-mode in comments

From: Erwin Achermann
Subject: [h-e-w] autofill-mode in comments
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:44:15 +0200

Hi *,

I fail to configure my java editor to do what I (and presumably you guys too)
expect. I am pretty sure this is a matter of configuration, but I don't know
what variable(s) I should tweak.

I'm using JDEE (in standard configuration) Abbrev-mode and autofill-mode are
on.
Now here is what I observe:
 editing a comment starting with /** or with /* leads to the following line
breaking:

        /** Calculates the maximal allowable drag distance for this column
         * which is always larger than the other one which is what
        is really interesting

        */

        /* asdf asdf asdklj asdklfj asdflkj asdf lkj asdfkl asdfj dflkj
         * adf ljasdf laksdfj lkdf lkjasdf lkj daf lk l jasdflkj asdflkj
        fasdf asdfk asdf

        */

Note that the first auto-line wrap is doing exactly the right thing (correct
indent and correct prefix, which seems preconfigured nicely to ' * ') , but why
is the third line not prefixed with the ' * '.
The funny thing is, that c-fill-paragraph (bound on M-q) would be wrapping a
prefixing correctly.
The annoying thing is that in the third line the code-abbrevs get reactivated
(writing by is expanded to byte, writing for takes me to the
for-loop-template...)

Question: am I the only living with that situation? If so, how can I have
auto-fill mode prefixing all the comment lines properly and not only the first
one?

Thanks for any clue
Erwin