Re: [h-e-w] utf-16 on NT Emacs

From: Tom Capey
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] utf-16 on NT Emacs
Date: 04 Sep 2002 14:55:55 +0100

* TSchutzerWeissmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Tom Capey wrote:
>> put file on path and evaluate (permanently by putting in
>> dot-emacs -- will be read on next startup; immediately by
>> placing cursor at right paren and doing C-x C-e) the following
>> expression:
>>
>> (require 'utf-16)
>>
>> Prior to opening a utf-16 file, do a
>> `universal-coding-system-argument' (bound to C-x RET c).
>> choose the relevant le|be dos|unix|mac combinations.

> pah! It makes no difference at all, I've tried every which combination
> and the file is still riddled with pesky ^@ s.

  C-x RET c -> choose utf-16-le-dos or whatever... does that
  help?  you should see the utf-16-... if you use tab
  completion.  I'm guessing I was less than clear in my
  explanation, but I guess that that guess might not be correct
  so...

  here's an example that works for me:

  open up Notepad.  type in "I never want to see Notepad again,
  ever."  save as Unicode (little endian, the default) to file
  say-no-to-notepad.txt.  open up emacs -q.  (emacs-version) =>
  "GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195)...".

  M-x load-library RET utf-16

  C-x RET c
  Coding system for following command (default, iso-latin-1-dos):

  to which I type utf-16-le RET

  I then do C-x f say-no-to-notepad.txt.  and it's there in
  bright and shiny black and white without a monkey's tail in
  site.

  this has worked for me since the time Dave Love first posted
  the utf-16.el to sources.

/Tom
--
"...and so, as the PC of time crashes on the superhighway of fate, and
the sergeant of doom takes his bent panda car away"           -- Humph