Re: [h-e-w] subshell cd's not working

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] subshell cd's not working
Date: 04 Sep 2002 11:49:55 -0400

<address@hidden> writes:

> Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:
> > I would guess that you changed your .bashrc to do 'cd $HOME', or
> > something like that.
>
> Egads, you're right!  I took out the cd and everything works.  The
> "cd" the compilation subshell prints was fooling me.  I put the "cd"
> into my .bashrc to get the interactive shell to come up in my home
> directory instead of /usr/bin or whereever; changing the properties
> for the bash shortcut worked just as well, and doesn't interfere with
> emacs.

An alternate solution is to include "--login" on the interactive
shortcut command line; then bash loads ~/.bash_profile. Put your
interactive settings there, rather than in .bashrc.

Remember that .bashrc runs for _every_ command you type in a bash
shell. So in your case, the following would give a listing of $HOME,
not $HOME/foo:

cd ~/foo
ls

.bash_profile only runs once, when a "login" bash starts.

--
-- Stephe