Re: [h-e-w] Odd dired date format; revised ls-lisp

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Odd dired date format; revised ls-lisp
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:12:03 +0100

As promised yesterday, I have revised ls-lisp to allow the cutoff times to
be customized.  There are actually two cutoffs, one in the past and one in
the future; you can probably ignore the latter unless you regularly use
post-dated files!  The cutoff times must be expressed in seconds, and the
past cutoff must also be negative (which is checked by the customization
code).  However, I anticipate that the most useful values will be: the
default, which is the old constant cutoff of 6 30-day months in the past (or
1 hour in the future); 0, meaning now, and -1e+INF, meaning never.  This is
all documented; see the customization buffer for the ls-lisp group (after

This is test version consisting of my current working file and it is
available as

http://centaur.maths.qmw.ac.uk/tmp/ls-lisp.el

This version also fixes a bug affecting the h switch (which gives
"human-readable" file sizes expressed in k, M, etc.)

I have made a few other minor changes, some of which I may want to
reconsider.  These are the use of float arithmetic in the time comparisons
and a change to the details that control whether the group of a file is
displayed.  (Group is a Unix concept, and I don't think it has any analogue
in Windows.)  Most users should notice no difference from the previous
version.

Further comments and suggestions are welcome.

Francis