[h-e-w] ls-lisp and w32-symlinks

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: [h-e-w] ls-lisp and w32-symlinks
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 10:41:56 +0100

Updated versions are available from http://centaur.maths.qmul.ac.uk/Emacs/.

The new version of ls-lisp supports the use of the L switch to dereference
symbolic links within dired (which does not work with external ls programs).
This facility also requires w32-symlinks (or equivalent).  Essentially, it
makes symbolic links appear as if they were hard links (apart from the link
count, which currently appears to be broken anyway; I'm looking into that).
Because ls-lisp is tightly integrated with Emacs, it can preserve the
directory information that is necessary for dired to be able to find the
dereferenced file.  (I have also tidied up the sorting code, but that should
have no user-visible consequences.)

The new version of w32-symlinks fixes a bug that broke the support for
making symlinks when general symlink support was turned on.

Francis

---

Dr Francis J. Wright
School of Mathematical Sciences, Queen Mary
University of London, Mile End Road, London E1 4NS, UK
Tel: 020 7882 5453 (direct);  Fax: 020 8981 9587 (dept.)
address@hidden;  http://centaur.maths.qmul.ac.uk/