RE: [h-e-w] jittery scrollbar

From: Bingham, Jay
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] jittery scrollbar
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:29:44 -0500

Veda,

I don't know that I have the answer to your question, but in an effort to help
you isolate the source of the problem I can tell you that I have the same emacs
version installed on Windows 2000 service pack 2 with a Microsoft optical wheel
mouse.  I just tried dragging the scroll bar on a large file, on the README
file and on another file about the size of the README file.  After several
attempts I finally observed what could be described as "jittering up and down".
 I noticed that it seems to be more prevalent in small files than in large
files and seems to occur only when the scroll bar is being dragged very slowly.
 I also noticed that when I would drag slowly emacs would start to repaint the
screen then stop repainting when it detected motion.  This caused what I would
describe as a flickering.  I suspect that the jittering is cause when the
scroll bar is hovering near a threshold and emacs can't decide which side of
the threshold the bar is on.  I also noticed that in a small file the scroll
bar must be moved much farther than on a large file to cause movement of the
text.  This may be related in some way.

Hope this helps.
-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Austin Software & Services - Software Product Assurance
.    Austin, TX
. Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
. Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire.          -Dr. George W. Crane-