Re: [h-e-w] Subshell to a network drive

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Subshell to a network drive
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 13:45:47 +0100

From: "Jai Jeffryes" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2002 7:55 PM
Subject: [h-e-w] Subshell to a network drive

> How do I use a sub-shell on a network drive?
>
> I frequently use a sub-shell in Emacs (m-x shell) instead of the Windows
DOS
> prompt.  DOS doesn't let me cd to a network drive.  UNC's aren't
supported.
> I also tried cd'ing to mapped drive letter.  These methods don't work from
> my ordinary DOS prompt nor an Emacs sub-shell.
>
> MY WORKAROUND:
>
> 1. From Windows Explorer I can send a file on a network drive to Emacs
> (using gnuclient).
> 2. Spawn a sub-shell.  It prompts me from the directory location of the
file
> I just opened!
>
> Why does that work?  And is that the only way I can get to a network drive
> from my sub-shell?

The normal way to change drives in DOS is to use the drive letter followed
by a colon as a command, e.g. > z:.  The cd command in cmd.exe on NT can
change drive if given the /d switch, but I don't think that works with
COMMAND.COM on 9x.  Try "help cd" or "cd /?" at a command prompt to check on
your system.

Whatever works in a DOS window should work in an Emacs shell buffer if you
are using the default setup, except that the editing facilities are
different.  I think this should all apply to a network drive mapped to a
drive letter.

Your workaround works because there is no fundamental problem with what you
want to do, you are (I suspect) just using the wrong DOS command syntax.

Francis