Re: [h-e-w] Compiling Emacs on Windows a piece of cake!

From: Harald . Maier . BW
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Compiling Emacs on Windows a piece of cake!
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 19:15:39 +0200

"Chris Lott" <address@hidden> writes:

> Then I installed the single file MingW executable into C:\mingw and
> ran it to install the mingw tools to c:/mingw/bin

I don't understand. What is the MingW executable? Do you mean the
zipball (self extracting archive) that contains the mingw executables.

> I put c:\mingw\bin into my path and restarted my bash shell to read
> the new path
>
> I tried building at this point, but it failed because the Gnu make
> that comes comes Cygwin has problems with the emacs source. So I
> found a version on the web (it took two tries: I finally found a
> 3.77 on the web-- 3.75 and 3.80 failed) that was already compiled
> and dropped it into the c:\mingw\bin as gmake.exe

If you unpack the archive then the directory c:\mingw\bin should
contain the _mingw_ make program. This make program works fine with
DOS filenames.

>From the emacs/nt/INSTALL file:

    mingw32 compiled make 3.79.1:        okay          okay

> Success! I then started it using my usual shortcut and everything works fine
> with my old configuration...

Great!

Harald