RE: [h-e-w] compilation windows

From: Peter Milliken
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] compilation windows
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 06:55:50 +1000

G'Day Peter,

I don't compile from Emacs (well, I have done so with some Python programs, so maybe I have :-)). But I use a utility called escreen.el rather than Emacs frames to achieve multiple <whatever you want to call them - I can't use "windows" can I? :-), Perhaps "screen" is the correct word?>.

Using escreen.el I have always had the compile results come up in the same buffer in the same screen, so maybe that is a possible answer to your question?.

escreen.el is just like the Unix utility screen. You can create, switch between and delete any number of Emacs screens - without creating a large number of "frames" that then "litter" the Windoze task bar etc i.e. you only ever see the one Emacs "frame" when using escreen.el and switching between tasks in Windoze.

Reference to which one screen you want is usually done using the numbers 0-9 (but you can have more, I think the "names" then go into the a-z range, but I have never had any desire to have more than 10 "screens" open at any one time). Creating and deleting is quite easy too.

You shouldn't have any trouble getting escreen.el, just do a google search (I picked mine up from the gnu.emacs.sources some years ago and have used it ever since).

Hope this helps,
Peter