[h-e-w] Asking for help on 2 problems (ange-ftp, file dir)

From: Jie Wu
Subject: [h-e-w] Asking for help on 2 problems (ange-ftp, file dir)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:57:47 +0100

My NT-emacs is installed in the directory C:\Programs\emacs-21.2
I have a separate dir C:\Programs\emacsen and a subdir site-lisp in it
to keep some common things among different versions of emacs NT.
I have also the latest cygwin installed (without emacs of it) in the dir
C:\cygwin.
The .emacs file is in the home directory and read correctly every time
the program is started up.

Furthermore, I'm new to the emacs lisp.

Problems:

1. i have the (require 'cygwin-mount) in the .emacs file, but nothing
related to ange-ftp in the file. But emacs told me that it requires
ange-ftp. I suppose this is required by the cygwin-mount (is it? i'm not
sure.) so i installed and byte-compiled the ange-ftp in the site-lisp
dir which is included in the load-path. But when emacs starts up, it
still gives out an error which reads:

------
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function ange-ftp-run-real-handler)
  byte-code("ÂÃ!,HA(BBÄKÂ,G"(B [current-load-list
cygwin-original-ange-ftp-handler require ange-ftp
ange-ftp-run-real-handler] 2)
  require(cygwin-mount)
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "~/.emacs" nil t)
  load-with-code-conversion("z:/.emacs" "~/.emacs" t t)
  load("~/.emacs" t t)
  #[nil ",T.........
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()
------

What does this error mean?

2. i created a new file "C:\test.txt" and did some edition. After that I
tried to save the file. But the following error is given:

------
basic-save-buffer-2:
c:/Programs/emacs-21.2/bin/c:/Programs/emacs-21.2/bin/c:/Programs/emacs-
21.2/bin/c:/test.txt: no such directory
------

The program dir is inserted three times before the real destination dir.
If i change to use another dir such as "Z:\dirzzz\file.txt" the same
duplicate things is inserted to the specified destination dir. What
happened? How to get rid of this problem?

Thanks in advance!
Jie.