[h-e-w] rcs2log

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: [h-e-w] rcs2log
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 11:09:09 -0000

Following discussion with the Emacs developers I have revised rcs2log.bat to
avoid the need for the right search path ordering.  It now requires only
that a suitable sh program is found in the search path used within Emacs.
If the environment variable VC_SORT_PATH is set to a search path appropriate
to the sh program then it is prepended to PATH; otherwise /bin is prepended
to PATH.  In a reasonably recent default Cygwin installation, sort is in
/bin (and Cygwin knows where its own root directory is within the Windows
file system).  Hence I think this should work correctly by default for most
users of Cygwin and probably any other sensible UNIX-like environment.  If
it doesn't then the user can specify an appropriate search path by setting
VC_SORT_PATH.  This could in fact be used to specify the location of any of
the programs run by rcs2log, although I think only sort clashes with the
name of a standard Windows program and on my system they are all in /bin.
(In fact, they appear to be in /usr/bin, but /bin is mounted on /usr/bin by
default and the files are physically in /bin.)

As usual, the revised version is available from
http://centaur.maths.qmul.ac.uk/Emacs/.

Francis