Re: [h-e-w] init file, where should it be?

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] init file, where should it be?
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:06:14 -0000

From: "Karklins, M" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2002 8:46 PM
Subject: [h-e-w] init file, where should it be?

> Fellow Users,
>
> I am trying to get my emacs to use the .emacs initialization file. I am
> using a .bat file to invoke emacs so that is knows where it should start.
> The trouble is that it appears to be ignoring the .emacs file that I have
> placed in that directory.  I am checking to see if the startup file was
read
> by checking the value of the fill-column variable.  It remains at 70, the
> default value.  I am using GNU emacs v 21.2.1 on a win2k machine.
>
> this is "myemacs.bat"
>
> ------------------------
> REM set home directory for emacs so it can write its directory
> set HOME="d:\home\karkliam"
> set HOMEDRIVE=d:
> set HOMEPATH="d:\home"
> set USER="karkliam"
>
> REM set up the default for printing to network
> REM Net use LPT1: \\prt-hbc-02\pb503080
>
> REM invoke emacs
> D:\Emacs\emacs-21.2\bin\runemacs.exe

I suggest you try removing the quotes.  I think they will remain in the
variable value and confuse Emacs.

If that doesn't work, try using forward slashes instead of backslashes in
the HOME variable.  I think Emacs will ignore HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH, and if
you log in as karkliam then it should pick up the value of USER
automatically.  Personally, I just set HOME via the System Properties
dialogue on my XP box.  (On my NT box I don't set it at all and let it
default to C:/.)  Then I invoke Emacs via a shortcut, not a batch file.

Francis