Re: [h-e-w] compile java with emacs on PC?

From: Ken Goldman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] compile java with emacs on PC?
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 16:57:04 -0500

Ages ago, I had this in my .emacs.

(defun kgold-setup-java ()
  (make-local-variable 'compile-command)
  (setq compile-command (concat "javac " (file-name-nondirectory
buffer-file-name)))
)
(add-hook 'java-mode-hook 'kgold-setup-java)

Then M-x compile would run the javac compile.

Eventually, I realized that makefiles are a more general solution, so
I create simple makefiles for java code and let emacs default to
running make.

To assign it to a single key stroke:

(global-set-key [pause]      'compile)

And the bonus you asked for, M-x next-error can be used to step
through the errors, bringing you to the correct file and line.
It works for java, C, ...

(global-set-key [C-pause]    'next-error)

--
Ken Goldman   address@hidden   914-784-7646