Re: [h-e-w] attempt 2: how to turn off electric feature in C-environment

From: Paul Whitfield
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] attempt 2: how to turn off electric feature in C-environment?
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 09:28:32 +0800

address@hidden wrote:
In a message dated 12/23/2002 1:36:31 PM Eastern Standard Time, address@hidden writes:

>I have asked before... don't lose hope yet to find that out. I know but I'm not going to tell you. You should have a consistent indenting style. If you don't like your current selections, try a different style.
 >Is there a way to turn off the electric feature of C
 >environment?  I mean the one that makes comment signs,
 >curly braces and some other symbols jump to the
 >positions Emacs deems most suitable?
Emacs doesn't care about this stuff. It's putting things where you've asked it to, based on the cc-mode settings you have specified.

 >I don't want to turn off all of the C-mode stuff,
 >highlighting is very convenient, but not the braces stuff.

Please read the CC mode documentation. If you are still having problems, post a bit of C code in your preferred indentation style and you may get a helpful answer.

Looking at the c-mode customisation options I find the
option

C Syntactic Indentation:

If t, the indentation functions indents according to the syntactic
context, using the style settings specified by `c-offsets-alist'.

If nil, every line is just indented to the same level as the previous
one, and the M-x c-indent-command command adjusts the indentation in steps
specified by `c-basic-offset'.  The indentation style have no effect
in this mode, nor any of the indentation associated variables,
e.g. `c-special-indent-hook'.
Parent groups: C

Show perhaps this is what you want?

Regards