Re: [h-e-w] Building native windows ntemacs using cygwin tools

From: Robinows
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Building native windows ntemacs using cygwin tools
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 21:11:53 EST

In a message dated 12/22/2002 4:18:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, address@hidden writes:

> As far as my understanding goes, ntemacs currently can't be built using the
> cygwin tools because the cygwin version of make produces cygwin style paths,
> which means that a make bootstrap will fail as the dumped emacs expects
> windows style paths (I'm not 100 percent sure this is the reason - please
> correct me if 'm wrong). It occured to me that by using the cygpath utility
    Yes, you're right.
I used to get around this by downloading mingw make from http://www.mingw.org
   stick in  /c/mingw/make.exe and prepend /c/mingw to the front of your PATH.
   then  "cmd /c make bootstrap" will work.

Alternatively, you can patch the distribution.  In */Makefile.w32-in, (i.e. Makefile.w32-in in each subdirectory), Change every occurence of $(CURDIR) with
$(shell cygpathm $(CURDIR))
  where cygpathm is the following shell script:
#!/bin/bash
cygpath -m $1

I've been doing this for a couple of months.  So far CVS hasn't barfed about conflicts.
Obviously, the above is not a real solution since it breaks the Visual C build. It could certainly be fixed but I'm not certain it would be accepted into the distribution.

Another solution would be to add a switch to Cygwin make so that the CURDIR variable returns the desired format.  This would be easy to do but, given the options above, I'm not sure the cygwin folks would go for this unless one could point out other uses for such a feature.

> included with the cygwin suite, which converts to and from windows paths,
> this problem is dealable with - see
> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#CYGPATH
> for more info. This would then allow a better integration with the emacs
> distribution, since now a conventional configure script could be used for
> generating the makefile etc. Before I actually looked into this, I though
> I'd post this message to make sure I understand the problem correctly :)
  Here, I think you're confused.  I believe the NTemacs makefile ineeds to be built with nt/configure.bat because the Visual C user is not likely to have many of the required tools, not because Cygwin make is deficient.
  However, if you're interested in pursuing this, you might want to look at Joe Buehler's patches for cygwin emacs, which is built with configure.   You might be able to come up with something.  But what?