RE: [h-e-w] Using LaTeX with emacs on windows xp

From: Mason, Michael M
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Using LaTeX with emacs on windows xp
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 21:07:29 -0000

> I am installing emacs and miktek on my notebook (windows xp)
> following the suggestions on
>  http://www.math.auc.dk/~dethlef/Tips/introduction.html.
> However, I haven't managed to use LaTeX with my emacs yet.
> The following error message occurs when I try C-c C-c <ret>:
>
> Running `LaTeX' on `lshort' with ``latex --src-specials
> \nonstopmode\input{lshort.tex}''
> 'latex'  not recognised as command or batch file
>
> LaTeX exited abnormally with code 1 at Fri Jan 03 14:53:35
>
> I would be most grateful if anyone could help me with this problem!

You probably haven't added MikTeX to your PATH environment variable.
Try running latex from a command prompt; you should see something
like this:-

   This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (MiKTeX 2.2)
   **

But if you still get "latex not recognized..." etc, then it's not
being found in your PATH.  My PATH is set so that MikTeX is at the
front so that it will get searched first and the relevant bit looks
like this:-

PATH=C:\tools\texmf\miktex\bin;

Your MikTeX directory will have a different name, but hopefully you'll
be able to tell from what it needs to be -- only one directory in the
whole texmf tree needs to be in your PATH.

--
Michael