[h-e-w] Gnus cannot open an NNTP server

From: Michael R. Wolf
Subject: [h-e-w] Gnus cannot open an NNTP server
Date: 24 Jan 2003 16:58:49 -0800

I'm trying to debug a NNTP connection problem to my ISP.  I've
attached a bit of what's in my *Message* buffer.

My experience is that after I type 'gnus', that I get a whole lot of
quick messages.  I then watch the "Loading gnus-agent...done" message
for 20 seconds before getting this prompt:

  nntp(inetnews.att.net) open error: ''.  Continue? (y or n)

I type 'y', and gnus comes up without a connection to this news
server, but with everything else OK.

Where can I search for the NNTP dialog, or any other remnants, to help
debug this connection problem?

Thanks,
Michael Wolf

P.S.  If someone could relay this to a netnews group, I'd appreciate
it.  I've got a chicken/egg problem on receiving other help, and am
therefore relying on an email'ed group.

 [2 times]
Reading c:/.newsrc.eld...
Opening nntp server on inetnews.att.net...
Denied server

Reading active file from att.net via nntp...
Opening nntp server on att.net...

Reading active file from oz.net via nntp...
Opening nntp server on oz.net...

Reading active file from perl.org via nntp...
Opening nntp server on perl.org...

Reading active file via nnml...
Opening nnml server...

nnml: Reading incoming mail from file...
Wrote c:/Mail/perl/newsletter/133
nnml: Reading incoming mail (1 new)...done
Reading active file via nnml...done
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...
Opening nnfolder server on archive...

Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...done
Opening nntp server on inetnews.att.net...
Denied server

Checking new news...
Opening nndraft server...

Checking new news...done