[h-e-w] CVS build and subdirs.el problem

From: Phil Rooke
Subject: [h-e-w] CVS build and subdirs.el problem
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 20:27:59 -0000

Hi,

I have been browsing some of the really good stuff being announced
in the CVS NEWS file recently and am keen to have a go at building
Emacs myself from the CVS sources.

I'm trying to avoid all the overhead of figuring out a complete
cygwin environment and so I am using:

- the client from cvsnt-1.11.1.3
- the current mingw-2.0.0-3 bundle
- a mingw port of GNU Make 3.79.1
- the cmd.exe 'shell' running under Windows XP Pro SP1.

Getting the sources from CVS is fine.
I've then done:

D:\emacs\nt> configure --with-gcc --no-debug

which completes with no problem.  Then:

D:\emacs\nt> gmake bootstrap

Apart from the following, which appears periodically:

process_begin: CreateProcess((null), cygpath D:/emacs/lisp, ...) failed.

the make appears to progress with no problems apart from a few
compiler warnings.  That is until it gets to the subdirs.el target
when the following consistently happens:

gmake[1]: Leaving directory `D:/emacs/src'
gmake  -C ../lisp bootstrap
gmake[1]: Entering directory `D:/emacs/lisp'
echo ;; -*- no-byte-compile: t -*->subdirs.el
process_begin: CreateProcess((null), cygpath D:/emacs/lisp, ...) failed.
echo ;; In load-path, after this directory should come>> subdirs.el
echo ;; certain of its subdirectories.  Here we specify them.>> subdirs.el
echo (normal-top-level-add-to-load-path '(>> subdirs.el
d) was unexpected at this time.
gmake[1]: *** [update-subdirs-CMD] Error 255
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `D:/emacs/lisp'
gmake: *** [bootstrap-gmake] Error 2

I've not been able to get beyond this.  The install-nt notes say
that if Make fails then I should install Bash as the shell but I
hoping that I've missed something obvious and can fix this problem
with my current setup.  Does anyone know what may be wrong?

Many thanks

Phil