Re: [h-e-w] Selecting and setting a fixed width font for NT

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Selecting and setting a fixed width font for NT
Date: 05 Feb 2003 15:45:40 +0100

Hi Neil,

"Neil Mackie" <address@hidden> writes:
> I would welcome suggestions from others using emacs on NT/XP as to
> which fonts are fixed width and which they find easy to read. My
> personal preference seems to be towards sans serif fonts that are
> not too wide.

I use Fixedsys and for the Unicode bits missing in Fixedsys I use
Lucida Console bold.

> Additionally the command list-fontsets only lists two fonts.

Fontset != font.  Use describe-fontset to find the configuration of a
fontset.  set-fontset-font to configure a fontset.

> Is there a way of getting the list of fonts displayed by the GUI
> dialogue in the set-default-font format so I can set the font in the
> startup file?

Use w32-select-font to show the dialog.  Call it with M-: and retrieve
the result from the Messages buffer afterwards.

Have a look at
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/faq5.html#windows-font for
more information on the topic.

Hope this helps, benny