Re: [h-e-w] no bin directory?

From: Robinows
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] no bin directory?
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 17:45:03 EST

In a message dated 2/6/2003 5:33:33 PM Eastern Standard Time, address@hidden writes:

I tried installing emacs 21.2 on my pc running Windows XP, using the command

gunzip -c -d emacs-21.2.tar.gz | tar xvf -

There were a few error messages (but they appeared to be "normal" ones that I don't need to worry about).  However, I do not get a bin directory, and hence, no runemacs.exe file.  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

emacs-21.2.tar.gz is the source tarball.
You wanted emacs-21.2-fullbin-i386.tar.gz
  Since you already have the lisp source you can get by now with
  emacs-21.2-bin-i386.tar.gz

These are all at ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs-21.2

By the way, the "-d" switch is redundant when using gunzip.