Re: [h-e-w] Re-fontiying buffers

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re-fontiying buffers
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 17:35:21 -0000

From: "Sarir A Khamsi" <address@hidden>
To: "Dr Francis J. Wright" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 5:14 PM

> Changing my font lock mode from lazy-lock to jit lock seemed to do the
> trick, but I still get some delay (occasionally) on opening a file.
>
> I tried a little test:
>
> 1) go to a dir that had many files in it
> 2) create a macro to open the next file in the dired list
> 3) run that macro several times to open several files.
>
> Occasionally, Emacs would delay opening the file about 5-10 sec. While
this
> happens much less often than the problem I describe below, I'm still
> wondering if I have something else set incorrectly. Do other people get
> this behavior?

I haven't noticed this, although I don't usually open several files in very
quick succession.  Maybe you have a slow machine.  Or maybe you have set
some other font-lock parameters that are causing this behaviour.  I suggest
you take a look at the font-lock customization buffer and check which
settings are not at their default.  Then try resetting them (if there are
any).  If you use maximum fontification in modes that provide a lot of
fontification then it may be slow.  So reducing the fontification level may
help.

> Thanks for the tip.

You're welcome.

Francis