[h-e-w] Windows Emacs vs Emacs on Linux., X, etc

From: Chris Lott
Subject: [h-e-w] Windows Emacs vs Emacs on Linux., X, etc
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 22:46:00 -0900

Are there many people who have only used Windows Emacs? Except for
occasional shell use I had only used Windows Emacs until a few days ago when
I took the plunge and set up an Linux/X desktop. I have to say, uszing emacs
on its "native" platform is a completely different (and positive)
experience. Every package I want to use works, everything installs the way
it is supposed to, and it doesn't take hours of twiddling to cobble things
together to make paths and windows ports of tools work (and I can finally
reliably use some cool things like preview-latex and w3m. It has been an
immense pleasure. Emacs has given me enough on Windows that it was worth it.
But... while I appreciate this list and the hard work people have put into
porting (and since I have to use Windows for some tasks, I am happy Emacs is
there)... I had no idea what I was missing!

Chris Lott