RE: [h-e-w] .emacs doesn't execute

From: Mike Campbell
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] .emacs doesn't execute
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 20:09:57 -0400

If his problem is that emacs isn't reading his .emacs, then setting HOME *IN* his .emacs won't help, since it's not being read in the first place.

Anyway, I'm not sure what OS you're using, but if it's Windows NT, 2K, or XP, then you go into the Settings->Control Panel->System, and dig around in there until you find the "Environment Variables" tab.  (It might be hidden behind an "Advanced setting" button.)

Once you find that, either find the "HOME" entry, see where it points and put your .emacs file there, *OR* change or add the entry to point to C:\ or D:\, or wherever you're comfortable it being.  Then put the .emacs where you set HOME to be.