[h-e-w] Cutting and pasting TO emacs from Win apps (eg Word)

From: Neal Beck
Subject: [h-e-w] Cutting and pasting TO emacs from Win apps (eg Word)
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:57:42 -0700

Hi
I am using GNU Emacs 21.1.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.1.2600) (2001-10-22 on buffy)
(NTemacs 21.1) on an XP (Pro) box.

I have no trouble killing and yanking within emacs, no trouble cutting and
pasting within various Windows apps (eg Word to Notepad), and no trouble
killing in eamcs and then pasting into a
windows app. But nada when I cut (or copy) from a windows app and then try to
yank into emacs. If I have killed something previously in emacs, it is that
which gets yanked back, and if I
have not done any killing in emacs, i get the message "kill ring empty." I have
looked at CUA, but this seems to only remap keys (and when i use, get same
behavior as before). This must be
trivial, but I cannot figure it out. I frequently want to copy a url from ie to
some html i am editing in emacs, so not being able to copy from the windows app
is a real pain.

Thanks for any help, I assume I am just missing something obvious, but, if so,
cannot figure it out (and my perusal of the archives did not yield any
answers).

thanks
neal

Nathaniel Beck