Re: [h-e-w] help-emacs-windows Digest, Vol 7, Issue 10

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] help-emacs-windows Digest, Vol 7, Issue 10
Date: 20 Jun 2003 15:48:10 -0500

On Friday, June 20, "Richard M. Heiberger" <address@hidden> wrote:
>The distinction between gnuclient and gnuclientw is worth noting here.
>gnuclient freezes the program that calls it until the gnuclient session
>.is complete.  gnuclientw is an independent process that works in parallel
>with the program that calls it.

More precisely:  gnclientw exits immediately after the
request has been passed to gnuserv.  OTOH, gnuclient
does not exit until notified by emacs (via gnuserv)
that the buffer has been released.  Depending on how
"the program that calls it" does so, this may or may
not result in freezing that program.  (In a case like
an application which allows you to configure your
favorite text editor, it will usually wait.)

When using plain gnuclient, you are still responsible
for explicitly saving the edited file before releasing
the buffer.  The buffer can be released explicitly
using the keyboard command C-x #, which runs the
command server-edit.  Killing the buffer also releases
it without an explicit invocation of server-edit.
Thus there is no extra hassle if you just save the
file and then kill the buffer.

Based on my reading of the source code, gnuclient with
the -q switch should behave the same as gnuclientw.
(But, under certain circumstances, I have experienced
differences which I cannot explain.)

Regards,
  David V.